Serves 4 | prep time 20 min | oven time 25 min
- 1 big butternut squash, thin slices
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 400 g spinach
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- ½ orange juice
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 10 g fresh sage
- 3 tbsp Abbot Kinney’s Coco Start
- Sea salt
- Cut the squash into thin slices of around 0,5 cm and remove the peel.
- Put a wok pan on medium heat, add 2 tbsp of olive oil and stir fry the spinach with a pinch of salt, while stirring until reduced.
- Preheat the oven to 200 °C degrees (grill switch) and line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a frying pan, bake the onions and shallots until they start to caramelize. Devide in half and put one half in a bowl and set aside.
- Add the garlic and ¾ of the sage fry for 3 minutes, than add the balsamic vinegar and the Coco Start. Stir for another 2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Take a cake tin (or a casserole you prefer) and grease with olive oil.
- Start layering the pie. We did it like this: start with 2 layers of squash, a layer of ½ the amount of spinach, another layer of squash, a layer with the creamy onions, another layer of squash and another spinach layer. Last but not least, another layer of squash and top with the onions set aside and the left over of the fresh sage.